How could you not love holiday parties!? Friends, colleagues, champagne, glittery clothes and accessories and of course, awkward small talk… doesn’t get much better than that. I’ve noticed this year that I know way more about people than I’d expect. With Facebook feeds, you suddenly remember that the guy who sat next to you six years ago became an uncle last month and you find yourself asking questions like “How’s your sister’s baby!?” even though you both know that you haven’t spoken a single word to each other since last year’s office party. “Your trip to Vietnam looked amazing!!” “I saw you just celebrated a big birthday!” It’s pretty funny how connected you stay to people without ever having to see or speak to them. I guess it’s a good thing. If nothing else, it sure beats talking about the weather.
WHAT TO WEAR
The first step to crushing a holiday party is finding the right look. You definitely don’t want to be that person who shows up overdressed, but you also don’t want to show up in your interview suit (unless, of course, you work in some very strict business professional office setting… and if you do, I’m sorry…) I love this look for a few reasons:
- The black turtleneck underneath makes it a little more casual AND appropriate. I would not recommend wearing anything overly sexy or revealing to an office party (obviously.)
- The dress is festive with a little silver shimmer but isn’t overly “loud.” You probably should that sequin dress for New Year’s. Plus, you could re-wear the dress to a friends holiday party or on New Year’s for a completely different look without the turtleneck underneath.
- My favorite ankle strap black pumps can be worn straight from the office to the party. It’s probably not the best idea to change into your sexiest stilettos. Plus, the chunky heel on these make them comfortable should the party go on late.
- I get excited any time I get to wear my glittery Edie Parker clutch 🙂 If anyone is looking for an Edie Parker type clutch for a fraction of the price, I found this one that I really liked (plus, its at Bloomingdales so should qualify for Friends and Family)
Shop the look below:
WHAT TO GIFT
Office gifts. Here is my rule of thumb, if you aren’t sure whether or not you should get someone a gift, do it. It could be as small as a cookie, but it never hurts to let someone know you appreciate them. There is a girl I used to work with who would bake hundreds of cookies (I don’t think I’m exaggerating here!) and distribute them across our firm with hand written thank you notes to everyone who helped her get her job done. These acts of kindness do not go unnoticed. The gift guide below spans a range of prices but hopefully will give you some inspiration. I tried to pull as much as I could from Bloomingdales because there is still a few days left of their Friends and Family (25% off the entire site) – best to try to take advantage of that!
- SCENTED CANDLE – Candles are that perfect gift that could be given to just about anyone at any age (almost as versatile as a bottle of wine… which is also a great gift.) I’m partial to Diptique because they are so sleek looking and smell amazing. You really can’t go wrong with a candle as long as the scent isn’t too strong!
- COOL CHARGER – Who doesn’t always need a charger?! I love this one because it looks like a gift and isn’t something you would buy for yourself. It’s perfect to charge up while you’re at work and then throw it in your bag for when you go out after and suddenly realize your phone is dying
- FUN OFFICE SUPPLIES – If you are anything like me, you LOVE school supplies (aka office supplies once you graduate school and no longer get to do back to school shopping.) I know I wouldn’t buy myself a gold and lucite stapler, but I would love to have this at my desk.
- FUNCTIONAL SHOE BAG – I am constantly changing from heels to sneakers and hate putting dirty shoes in my bag. This shoe bag is cute looking and highly functional.
- TECH ESSENTIALS – Ever in a meeting and realize you don’t have the wire to connect your laptop to the presentation screen? Been there. Throw this tech essentials kit into your bag and you’re covered for all of your tech needs.
- CARD HOLDER – Most working women carry these around the office all day. This one is also so cute!
- TASSEL EARRINGS – The “it” earrings of the season. I love how festive these are. You’ll love the price too.
- FESTIVE LIP BALM – Sugar makes the best lip balm. I am constantly applying lip balm throughout the day. This time of year, your skin and lips tend to get very dry so keeping lip balm at your desk is a must.
- CUTE MUG – Aside from having something cute to make yourself a cup of coffee in, mugs are also great desk accessories. I have one that looks like this on my desk to hold all of my pens!
- LEATHER POUCH – At the office, this is great to hold your wallet, phone, some pens and a notebook when you are running around to meetings. Out of the office, these are great for traveling and could hold just about anything – passports, tickets, wallets… etc.
- FANCY NOTEBOOKS – This goes back to the “school supplies” theme. Also not exactly the type of item you’d buy yourself, but something you would love to have!