Ah, the fashion…. Here are the top trends I picked up on (that are somewhat office appropriate)
1. Ladylike dresses – feminine dresses with collared shirts underneath were both on the streets and in the stores. This Alice and Olivia textured collared dress captures the feminine look while also having a bit of edge with a textured fabric. I love the fact that it is navy (rather than black, which can come off a bit harsh with a white collared shirt underneath).
2. Oxford shoes – I spent time browsing the overwhelmingly cool shoe department of the Bon Marche featuring the hottest new French designers and almost every corner I turned displayed a different pair of Oxfords. These Rag and Bone Oxford sneakers are a little less “trendy” then some of the color blocked or platformed ones I saw all over Paris, but I thought they would be a great way to incorporate the style into the office and seemed like a good alternative to walk to work in (the rubber sole makes them appear very comfortable.)
3. Stripes – What I love most about stripes is their ability to translate into a very casual weekend look, or a polished office look. This striped, cotton Club Monaco turtleneck is perfect for just that. Tuck it into a midi – skirt (maybe in camel) to wear to the office, or wear out with ripped jeans and sneakers on the weekend – this “go anywhere” striped shirt is a great basic for any girls’ wardrobe! (PS – it also comes in a beautiful Bordeaux color and is only $79)
4. Over the knee boots – These boots are EVERYWHERE! I’ve seen them all over NYC, and the trend certainly continued in Paris. I know the Stuart Weitzman ones have received a ton of press recently, but I am a huge fan of the Joie boots. They are half the price of the Stuart Weitmans and incredibly comfortable (I walked hours in mine). The heel is also just the right size to give a good amount of height and elongate your legs without coming off cheesy!
5. Camel – Camel is such an elegant color. I saw a ton of women wearing all camel, monochromatic looks which I absolutely loved! Try this Club Monaco camel sweater dress as a starting piece which is great to layer a chunky jacket or cape on top.
6. Midi-skirts – Okay, I’ll admit, I’ve been very resistant to these as I am only 5’1 and feel like they make me look even shorter than I am. . . BUT after seeing them all over Paris (even in the nightlife) I may have to give them a shot. I loved this Clover Canyon fleece skirt because of the both the texture and the color. It has just the right amount of movement with the slight flare at the bottom without being too full.
7. Capes – I was a fan before I got to Paris and now I am pretty much obsessed. Great for a warmer day over a sweater, or even over a jacket when it is a bit colder – capes really do add a level of sophistication to almost any look. I love this WAYF cape because of both the color and the clasp detail. Way chic . . .
8. Bows – Whether they were on the arms of a sweater, tying the back of a neckline, on the tops of oxford shoes, bows were everywhere! I love the combination of the tough leather and the feminine bows on these bow snap gloves and think it is the right way to incorporate this ultra-feminine look subtly into your everyday.
Happy Thursday!! XO